June 10, 2010

Photo Me Painterly: John Knight and the Pre Raphaelites

Dang! Lookin for a nice Old Master styled photographs is getting harder and harder. Well it is though, I am not just looking for excuses. Maybe I need to broaden my categories. Meanwhile I will give you John Knight's interpretation of paintings made by the romantic ( and scandalous)  Pre- Raphaelites. To be honest, I found these photos as a bit of a downer after Mocafico's and Kustra's but hey... I totally gave this guy mad-props for his total DIY-ness!

Dante Gabriel Rosetti's Proserpine
Frederic Sandy's Love Shadow
John William Waterhouse's Lady of Shalott



Dante Gabriel Rosetti's Venus Verticordia
Dante Gabriel Rosetti's Pandora




Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I have a strange connection with Waterhouse's painting of the Lady of Shalott. If there is a 21st century version of the Lady of Shalott, I'm her (someone once told me out of the blue that I looked like her). For years I was convinced that painting was following me, and for some reason I believe that the story behind the painting is tied to my life. It's a long story filled with inexplicable coincidences. Everywhere I looked, this painting kept showing up. I eventually went out of my way (6,000 miles or so) and saw the painting in person thinking that maybe the coincidences would stop. Then when I came home I found a piece of paper on the floor of the university library that had my last name written on it, along with a number of a library book. My last name isn't all that common, so out of curiosity I looked up the library book. It was a book of poetry by Alfred Lord Tennyson, who wrote the poem "The Lady of Shalott" (the basis for the painting). Every time I run across her picture now I have minor heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,
    I'm so sorry for causing you heart attack, you know I never meant to. And talking about 'strange coincidence', recently I've read an old Vogue magazine about how beauty standard greatly differed from one era to another, and it was written by someone whose nicknamed "Botticelli Baby", with her red curly locks, pale skin, and regal nose. She always felt she didn't belong and how tough teenage was for her, but she survived it and along the way she found friends and connections that sorta 'belong' on a certain age...
    Her image and her story kinda stick, though admittedly, I forgot her name...
    I think it's totally awesome if you are the Lady of Shalott of this day and age, is that where the 'severe' come from? Because she had well, this severe look on her face...

    ReplyDelete